Tuesday, January 29, 2019

19P-2 (January 29)

I missed the New Year due to being too cold to try anything on the beach. By January 9 it was warmer so I took a walk to look at the sand. No tools with me, no camera. Naturally, I found good sand at the Breakwater, and built a classic catenary arch from the sand. It's good to return to roots, or first principles, at times.

I'd become enamored of photographing the patterns made by the water that seeps out of the beach and runs down the gradual slope as the tide falls. The sand is slowly carried away, subtly responding to the variations in the strength of the current. It's fascinating to watch, and leaves wonderful patterns behind as the water table drops below the area and leaves the pattern fixed.

On this day I found good sand in Venice. I put the camera down and made a sculpture. I used what shells I could find as carving tools. The Return of the Sand Balls, too. Something about that shape appeals to me.






No comments:

Post a Comment