Wednesday, December 4, 2013

13P-7, "Fighting Spirit" (December 4)

I guess I still don't really believe. This sculpture started with an argument with God, war waged with the #1 Loop Tool against sunlight, cold and caring. We eventually sorted things out. It was still cold.

The sculpture would have benefited from more cooperation and less hurry. There was plenty of sunlight left when I called it done. Still, I like it, and it's an interesting continuation of developing ideas of what a sculpture is beyond the definition that served for so many years: a block of sand with holes cut into it. The arch paradigm no longer rules quite so firmly.

Nor does the idea that there is value in delicacy for delicacy's sake. Yes, it's a great way to show off carving skills, to make a shell-like structure that's less than an inch thick, but does the design work? Now I'm exploring design. Engineering has been well proven.










No comments:

Post a Comment