Wednesday, November 27, 2013

13P-4 (November 27)

This is the day the tide window opened, with tide going down in mid-morning enough to expose good sand. Assuming it was still there, I packed food, water, camera and a tool subset and started walking. The day was warming. Supposedly there is rain due tomorrow, but if so it'll take some work.

Good sand was still available, and relaxed surf meant I could start piling immediately. It ended up being big, for a free-piled sculpture. Bigger than I had the stamina to stay with, really; many details got away from me and the whole design was confused.

I wanted to have some bulbous horizontal elements, with some sort of contrast on the other side. The problem was making things visible. Horizontal elements are hard to carve between, and even harder to see through.

Still a good day to be on the beach. Warm sun, no wind. A flight of pelicans had to work at going south, with no wave-displaced air to ride.

I converted most of the images to greyscale because the lighting was harsh. There might be better ways to convert than I used, which was just the basic mode change in GIMP.







No comments:

Post a Comment