Friday, January 7, 2011

11F-3 (January 7)

I took no photographs of this, nor did I write a report. I was in the habit of telling a friend, and found that in the Email archive.


"I was still pretty tired today, but there was some sunlight and it was the last day of this tide window. Still brief, with about 3 hours between low tide and sunset. I cheated and started about half an hour early, and had to wait for big wave sets to get off my sand before I could dig it up. The surf was vigorous. Must be a storm out there someplace. Sand was pretty good. I filled the form, testing to see how much sand was actually required, and it turns out that 8 full buckets will do it. I heaped up the buckets and had some sand left over.
     "The sculpture was very pretty from some angles. From others... not so successful, but it did have some nice parts and areas. It could have benefited from a little more time. Six inches of extra height makes a difference; the last quick one, I didn't fill the form all the way. This one started with a long convex curve from base on the north to the top, somewhat concave on the south, with a vertical pylon in that face with spaces cut behind. Kind of an elongated half dome kind of shape.
     "I'm reconsidering the photography issue. A smaller camera would help but I still don't really want to get into image editing... but it's necessary, as you've seen with Larry's image assemblies. He does no post-processing other than cropping and resizing. I color-balance, adjust contrast as needed, crop and save a new file. If I make an assembly--I used to do these to simplify the Email and Web things, but stopped due to the work involved--I try to give the images space, as Larry did with the New Year day piece. Eventually I'll get a new computer, which will be faster, but I'll have to buy a new image editor because my version of Photoshop is very old and won't run. I use very little of Photoshop's power, but its ability to crop and resize in one process is something I appreciate. I just tell it what size I want the image, draw the crop boundary, and fwam. It's done.

------------
2017-11-24
Created Email-based page for this sculpture.

I did reconsider the photography issue. Starting with 11F-4, I added the Canon 1D Mark II and a lens to the kit. In late 2013 I bought an EOS 70D to reduce the weight. It was still too big to take on bike rides. I still don't have a small camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment