Thursday, December 30, 2010

Dcember 30, 2010: 10F-1

Free-piling is easy in the summer and fall. The beach is stable, with little trash mixed in the sand. Getting on into winter, though, it's less predictable. One day might be clean, the next coarse and rock-strewn. That's when using a form really makes sense, even with the added equipment required.

I got to thinking about doing a formed sculpture. The problem was transportation; the Rolleez wheels on my sand cart no longer held air due to sand in their basketball-style reed valves. I went to the Web site and found that I wasn't the only one experiencing this problem: the Rolleez company had been bought by another outfit, and the wheels were entirely different within the same basic balloon-tire design.

The tires were now made from urethane, which is tougher and more rubber-like than the old vinyl. The bearing races were made from a harder type of nylon. Most important, the reed valve had been replaced by the automotive-type Schrader valve, with caps. I promptly ordered a pair.

When they arrived I found that, while the basic size was very similar, there were variations. To make them work with my cart--I was unable to remove the axle so had to keep it--I had to finesse the spacers and retainers. With careful attention to cutting and drilling the wheel change wasn't much of a problem.

Then it needed to be tested. I loaded the cart with the usual buckets, shovel and other equipment and started walking. I wasn't even planning on making a sculpture, but wanted to test the cart's operation.

The day was cold, dry and windy. I could stay warm only by moving. It didn't get any better.

Larry Dudock wanted to see the new wheels, so he came down to the Breakwater. As usual he had enough cameras to equip a camera club. I had none.

I went to work making a pile of sand, as usual. The cart worked beautifully, better than it ever had. The Wheeleez wheels are better in every way than the vinyl Rolleez ones. In not too long a time I had a pile of sand and had proven the cart. I was ready to leave, being perpetually on the verge of shivering.

But... I already had this pile of sand. It seemed a shame to just walk off and leave it. So, I went to work and made the famous 30-minute sculpture. I had to move fast just to stay in the ballpark of warm.

Larry shot video and lots of photos. He made this image assembly and sent it to me.


For those interested in the cart and wheels, here's what it looks like. The only thing I miss about the Rolleez wheels is that they were bright orange. The new ones are boring grey, but I'll gladly give up color to get quality. In this case.



Here's a detail shot of the wheel retainer.  The retaining pin is a sailboat part. Push the button and pull it out. Slick. The collar is plain one-inch PVC pipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment